Sunday, December 24, 2006

Play-Doh

There's something about Play-Doh that takes me back to being five years old. The texture, the smell, the cute little Play-Doh tools . . everything about Play-Doh is very sentimental.

RaggedyAnn enjoys playing with Play-Doh, and it's the perfect activity for when there's not much to do but avoid stores and public places on this most hectic of calendar dates.

The downside of Play-Doh is, of course, the way it will stick to and ruin carpeting, clothing if it gets entrenched in the fabric. We have a Play-Doh rule that involves laying out wax paper on the table and playing only on the wax paper. I also am a big stickler for one color of Play-Doh at a time. Lastly, any Play-Doh crumbs that land on the rug (we do live upstairs, and have to carpet the majority of our floor) are summarily picked up or cleaned up. And a little carpet cleaner never hurt anyone either.

5 comments:

cruisin-mom said...

Yep, playdough was even around when I was a kid. I think the dinasours were too. But silly putty is the thing that really brings back memories.

socialworker/frustrated mom said...

There is a new toy similar to play doh no mess and doesn't dry out they sell it in the Jewish toy stores I don't know what it is called.

PsychoToddler said...

I despise play dough. No messy toys!

What's next, slime?

RaggedyMom said...

Cruisin-mom - Silly putty! Even now I remember that funky smell it had. I used to have lots of fun with that stuff. Remember the little egg-shaped case?

SWFM - I've heard of this. There's also some new kind of metallic play-doh. I'd like to see it in action, though I'm also not looking for more toys!

PT - Slime? Sounds like fun. I guess you feel about messy toys the way I do about noisy toys. Why mess with a good, quiet thing?

Anonymous said...

Im shocked no mixing the play-do. why that was the best part.as a daughter of the no mixing club, I say let them mix the colors.