Wednesday, July 23, 2008

You Mean You Want Supper, Too?

Tonight's theoretical supper is:

Leftover carrot soup
Smoked mackerel from the Russian fruit store/grocery
Corn on the cob
Green salad
Bread

And maybe, if I manage to whip the cream, berries and cream.

Wednesday is when the pressure is on to get the Shabbos cooking started. It's hard to believe that, in the middle of that, they want supper on Wednesday and Thursday night, too!

The summer teaching job I took means that I get home with Andy and Little Rag at a little after 1 p.m. and have more limited time to contemplate supper, including buying what's needed (hopefully not, if I've prepared well and/or can get by on what's already in the house), preparing it, making lunch for the next day, etc. I'd say that the time frame is sufficient for getting it done, but that it is definitely an adjustment in terms of the time I previously needed to get the same things done.

Life is about to change around here. In the fall, Ann will be in school from 8:15 to 3:45. The current closest bus stop is a ten-minute walk for me, walking fast. We'll see how Ann handles it, along with me shlepping the little boys along at around 7:30 in the morning or so. In the cold, or the heat, or the rain, or the icy slush puddles that linger. Or we could just drive there, taking around 15 minutes each way. Yikes! She's just turning five on Shabbos! Are we ready for this?!

The days of her going to gan that starts at 9 just a few blocks away are about to be a distant memory. Which means we'll all have to be awake and productive at a far more earlier hour.

Combine that with the fact that we have less than 4 weeks until we go away, and I'm going to get an earful from RaggedyDad's family if he doesn't drop a few pounds before then. The trouble is, he's only got about 10 lbs. to shed, but his face gets round right away. So he looks like he's got more than that to lose. I'm the opposite - even if I'm at the end of a pregnancy, my face pretty much looks the same.

Mothers who work outside the home a full day - I have no idea how you have time to do what you have to do! Mothers with more than 3 kids, and multiple homeworks/school meetings/etc. - ditto! We seem to be on the precipice of some intense Raggedy times.

4 comments:

Ezzie said...

I loved playing Run Yourself Ragged as a kid!

Rebecca Einstein Schorr said...

Yay -- I am so happy that you re back!!

And I don't know how we do it either. I work outside the home and have 3 kids.

Would it surprise you that I took a 4 hour nap today? My parents have the kids for a few days so we can catch our breaths.

LittleBirdies said...

I work outside the home with 2 little kids. You don't do everything. Things have to give. My dishes don't get washed right away and sometimes supper is sandwiches and I rarely get enough sleep. But that's OK. My kids are loved and happy. I don't think they'll notice the mess, but they will notice if I'm not there for them.

RaggedyMom said...

Ezzie - LOL. Glad you've graduated to more sophisticated games. Like Stratego.

Rivster - Welcome to RaggedyMom! Seems I've missed a lot during my hiatus - like your cool blog that's providing me with some good back-reading! It's great that your parents are able to have your kids over for a few days! Hope you enjoyed!

LittleBirdies - Sometimes I lose sight of prioritizing the kids over home upkeep - your head is totally on straight, and it's a boost to read about how you're doing it.