Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Foolish Progress


I've blogged about construction outside our home in the past. Over the last week, another interesting project has been underway. Namely, the bus stop, along with others along major routes, have undergone renovation.

Now, instead of a glass with black sides with light shining down from within, we've got sleek glass with sleek grey metal sides, and soft white lights glowing on the sides. Come to think of it, the light is not all that soft, and glows rather brightly into the windows of those of us who don't have black-out shades. And it's possible that they've switched from glass to heavy-duty plastic, since people would periodically vandalize the glass.

While the new bus stops look nicer by virtue of being new, to me, this is a clear case of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Why waste time and money getting rid of something that served its designated purpose just fine? I wonder if they've been doing this throughout all of the boroughs?

One improvement has been that there's now a bench that seats three slim people within the bus shelter, though something like this could have been put up without dismantling the entire old bus stop.

Then again, it's possible that as someone born under the sign of Cancer, it's just my strong sense of nostalgia and love of the familiar that's causing me to dis the nice, shiny, new bus stops. Betcha didn't have me pegged for an astrology person. My mother practically read me Linda Goodman's Sun Signs as bedtime stories, so some of it stuck. Poor RaggedyDad really hates it when I start talking about astrology.

It got me thinking about what we prioritize in our relationships, in our religious growth, and in our improvement of our lives and our surroundings. Sometimes I'll hear of something that's being "worked on" and I wonder to myself, "That's what they're doing? That's what they're worried about?" I guess in truth, we all have our order for progress, our hierarchy for improvement. I tend to relate more to improvements that are internal rather than external, but I really can't purport to know what another person needs to get busy with first, or whether what seems external has a significant impact internally.

When riding the bus of judgement, it's good to get off at the next possible stop.

6 comments:

Diana said...

Maybe if everyone got a nose job they would be able to sniff out mitzvos

SuperRaizy said...

Hey, Raggedy Mom, I'm a Cancer, too!
Anyway, logic has nothing to do with city-funded construction projects.

Looking Forward said...

No it doesn't.

And, btw, that picture of the room, is it a doll house or real?

It looks like a beautiful, painstakingly detailed dollhouse.

fudge said...

the bus stop? they changed the bus stop? is nothing sacred?

i'll bet it's those same messed up express bus people who change the corner the bus stops on every week.

in all seriousness - i think you have a point regarding the religious application. you can have the poorest-mouthed kids in the world, but never fear: their parents are out there somewhere, buying them higher knee socks.

this reminds me of the time when stern put opaque glass in a classroom in the lobby, apparently just for kicks.

Anonymous said...

Is that RaggedyAnn's new bedroom? It is so precious!

RaggedyMom said...

Diana - I think you're right. And, like Raizy and me, you are a Cancer. Does anyone else in this group feel like our Sun Sign name is lame and disturbing?

Raizy - You are so right. These useless updates make me wistful for my Board of Ed. days!

HNC - That's a room inside a doll house at the Children's Museum. Every time we go there, I notice something I've never seen before.

Fudge - There's a major Queens bus conspiracy going on. From time to time, I see your grandmother at the public library, and I almost want to talk to her about it, because I know she's one of the few who understand.

And I'm glad you know where I'm getting at in terms of the more serious stuff too.

HK - No, I'll let you know if we make renovations that major! :)