Wednesday, October 31, 2007

The Sincerest Form of Flattery



I'm not sure if it's because Andy just misses Ann when she's away at preschool most of the day, but one of his favorite things to do sometimes is to wear things that are hers. Some days, it's shoes (although they both loooove wearing my shoes). Today it was this pair of pajamas that run a bit big even on her.

This is one of those times when I'm not sure what to do. On the one hand, she may get upset to find that he's been wearing (and now, napping in) her pajamas. "Those are very special to me!" is a line I'd typically hear from her in a case like this.

On the other hand, they share many things, and there are two pairs of warm fleecy pajamas that were bought for him, that they have both been wearing lately. If she's wearing his, she's got to be willing to have him wear hers. We're not very territorial as a family, but it's also important that we respect one another's belongings.

I'm hoping he doesn't extend his love of the pink and flowery beyond pajamas and into clothing worn outside, because that's a battle of wills I wasn't eager to have. Oh well. At least he's dressed today.

11 comments:

Diana said...

Where's the yogurt?

mother in israel said...

http://modan.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/09/04/queen-of-the-scottish-fairies/

fudge said...

when i was little i used to FORCE my brothers to wear my pajamas. maybe he's getting a head start.
but you're right - if pajamas are communal property, then why should pink fluffy ones be any different?

express yourself!

PsychoToddler said...

I have some pretty incriminating pictures of Moe wearing Fudge's pink jammies....

PsychoToddler said...

That's funny...due to comment moderation I never saw fudge's comment before writing my own...well...at least she didn't blame my wife for forcing the boys to wear pink.

the apple said...

Awwww. I think it's cute. It reminds me of when I went to the home of a teacher of mine, and two of her kids (son and daughter, aged about 4 and 3) were playing with the foam shapes.

Leah: Now Zalman, you take all the pretty ones and I take all the ichy ones.
Zalman: Okay!!
Mother: Zalman, what's your favorite color?
Zalman [doesn't even blink]: Peenk.

orieyenta said...

Oh my goodness that is too cute. (And very impressive that he dresses himself on his own.)

I wonder who's clothes Little Rag is going to wear?

Batya said...

My younger granddaughter loves to wear her older sister's clothes. B"H, the big one doesn't mind much.

Orthonomics said...

Must be a sibling thing. Our baby girl likes to try on the bigger one's tzizit and kippah.

Anonymous said...

Could the pink pj's have anything to do with a certain friend of the raggedy family who loves to wear that color?

RaggedyMom said...

Diana - I can't keep enough yogurt in my house. Although I've started cutting the baby yogurts with the plain stuff to slow down the depletion.

MII - That was an entertaining read!

Fudge - I thought it was just little sisters with big brothers who suffered. Now I know it works both ways!

PT - I'll be seeing you guys on Oprah sharing your feelings on the matter one of these days.

Apple - It seems like a girl first sets the tone for the household in a certain way. Though Ann's got 2 boys following her, so we'll see how it goes when the baby gets bigger.

Orieyenta - We've got a lot of mermaid moments when Andy thinks he can put his pants on and then gets both legs into one leghole. It's pretty comical when he say "I'n CAN'T!" Little Rag's going to have a lot to choose from!

Batya - That's good. I guess since mine aren't the same gender, she sometimes gets more territorial because, in fact, things like the Cinderella underwear really are hers alone.

SL - That must be so cute! There's something sweet about siblings (at least when they're this young) wanting to share things and imitate one another. These days are sadly numbered!

HK - Pink can be very manly. And I'll just keep repeating that until it sounds right!