Monday, May 21, 2007

Dairy Queen

Growing up, I was not a big fan of fleishig (meat) meals. But we had meaty dinners almost every night. My father is just not a lasagna and salad kind of guy. Trying to pull a weekly "pizza night" would have been a sort of unappreciated joke at our home.

But I always wanted dairy. Very rarely would I actually like or not make a fuss over the dinner my mother prepared. More often, I would beg or insist on making myself a dinner of a Lenders bagel with cheese, melted on it in the toaster. Having come to the point of running my own household, I've since apologized many times over to my own mother!

In any case, I really look forward to Shavuos. Or Shavuot. Or Shvi'is as RaggedyDad learned to say it when he was becoming frum in Antwerp. Gaaaah! Too many names! (And that's aside from some of the other descriptive names for the holiday.) "Burning out" (or in this case, self-cleaning) the oven for that yearly switch to a milchig cooking bonanza is one of my most anticipated activities.

Dairy cooking is tricky because I feel like it somehow requires a lot more refrigerator space, though I'm not sure why. I'm not a last-minute person by virtue of the fact that I don't have the strength or time-frame to do things alone, quietly, late at night, and all at once. So I typically do a few things each day.

A kink in my agenda this year came when my downstairs neighbors called to say that their refrigerator and freezer blew out some kind of crucial fuse, and could they transport everything (!) to ours? Luckily they were able to eventually move non-essentials to another neighbor's fridge in an empty apartment across the street, and gradually start keeping fewer things at our place. But for a couple of days we've been so crammed that I couldn't find (or store!) a thing!

RaggedyDad finds it funny when I take photos of things I've cooked. It's not that I sit there and look back on them lovingly. But it is nice to have some remnant of my hard work besides the crumbs! And it's kind of exciting for my two short assistants to look at the photos of their own hard work/major Mommy interfering and mishaps.

This year, the RaggedyClan and their guests can anticipate:

Blintz Souffle:



Eggplant Parmesan (or as Ann calls it - Parmesano Reggiano):



Scalloped Potatoes:



Raspberry Swirl Cheesecake (recipe available and so worth it):



Crumb Cake:



Of course, no holiday cooking is complete without that classic staple of "what to make for dinner the night before" - Spaghetti! This is the second box - the first uncooked box was scattered by Andy all over the then-sticky kitchen floor. Another fun activity for Mommy!



Tomorrow's cooking list consists of flounder, French onion soup, and possibly pasta (although - do we need it? Not sure). Hopefully nobody will be running for the toaster to make any alternate meals (though I'd deserve it)!

17 comments:

socialworker/frustrated mom said...

It all looks so delicious. Have a good yom tov.

Lubyvitcher said...

Looks like an ode to aluminum pans.
The poetry of every Jewish mother.

RaggedyMom said...

SWFM - Thanks, you too!

Luby - LOL! My supply of large baking dishes is almost exclusively fleishig, hence . . ! Good yom tov!

orieyenta said...

So who ate the crumb cake already? LOL

It all looks YUMMY. (Plus you're putting the non-cookers like me to shame!)

Chag Sameach.

fudge said...

my dad just forwarded me your post with the hopefully titled 'food ideas' in the subject heading. oh, does he ever wish.

Shira Salamone said...

We are SO coming to your place for dinner. :) :) :)

Chag Sameach!

the apple said...

I like that some of the food is already eaten - looks like my house :). Everything looks yummy, so enjoy it all and have a chag sameach!

Orthonomics said...

Yummy! And I almost never use alunimum pans except on Shavout. This year I only needed one.

And, like you, I really look forward to a dairy Yom Tov.

RaggedyMom said...

Orieyenta - Truth? I sent my parents half of a second cheesecake, and a quarter of the crumb cake. Now I'm putting daughters everywhere to shame ;)

Fudge - LOL! Keep it simple.

Shira - The more the merrier! Chag Sameach!

Apple - What's Yom Tov without a little advance tasting?! :)

SL - Enjoy the chag!

PsychoToddler said...

The scalloped potatoes look good. Also the eggplant. A man can dream, can't he?

frumhouse said...

mmmmmmm...looks good! Lenders Bagels with American cheese and ketchup in the toaster oven. MY family's version of a pizza bagel. You brought back memories.

I have yet to cook a single thing for yom tov. I am a Shavuot slacker this year.

SaraK said...

Yummy! I am making 1 dairy meal but it turned out to be mostly pareve. Greek salad & zuchinni quiche are dairy but otherwise I am serving salmon, asparagus, and cauliflower. I'm too healthy for things like blintz souffle' although it looks really yummy!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Looks fantastic! Hope everyone enjoyed!

Baleboosteh said...

Raggedy, I might be a bit late to this post but, that looks amazing!

Sarah Likes Green said...

yum yum :)
i made a similar berry cheesecake this year. the bestest.

Happy Mom of 6 said...

Looks delicious! - I also like to take pictures of things I make - though usually just desserts. We went away for the chag- so all we made was cheesecake- well actually -my daughter made it - I just ate it. I love Shavuos!

RaggedyMom said...

I hope everyone's Shavuos was wonderful and delicious! Here things were great - good food (either all eaten or frozen by now!), the kids had fun, and beautiful weather.

I'm glad I got all that cooking in - going to take it easy for a little while!