Thursday, February 15, 2007

All Better

When the kids had the vomiting stomach virus last week, and I was covered in grime, puke, and more laundry than I had ever seen, I thought it couldn't get much worse.

Actually, it can. What's worse than the kids being that sick is Mommy being that sick. Yep, I got it. Tuesday night and all day Wednesday was the craziest, all-out sick-fest ever. I felt so weak and awful that I needed a mental pep-talk to muster up the strength for every single aspect of every menial task. But the kids still needed a mommy!

The house looked kind of like those awful news stories where the kids have had to fend for themselves for days. The remains of the ideas that a three-and-a-half year old and a 15-month old have about what they need to find to eat, play with, and wear were scattered all over the house. Disastrous.

I was too scared that RaggedyDad would get it too to have him spend the day at home with me. The moment he left for work, I tried to paste on a reassuring smile, but I think the best I did was look wan and panicked.

I'm blessed with helpful parents nearby-ish and great neighbors who took Ann to and from preschool during the miserable weather. And when I woke up this morning, RaggedyDad (who left the house at 7:30 a.m. and got home at 10 p.m.) had not only shoveled out the car, he also cleared the path of the tornado in the apartment and it really, truly looked like a livable space again.

There is nothing like feeling better after a bout like that of being sick. This morning, after drinking a lot (more) Powerade and water, I disinfected the bathroom like a madwoman, as well as some other surfaces for good measure, and ran a load of wash on hot. Mommy's back, kids!

8 comments:

Hila said...

Aww!!! So sorry to hear your family has not been well! R'fuah shelaima!

And thanks for the tips on labeling!

-Hila

orieyenta said...

Sounds horrible. Glad to hear that the Raggedy family is feeling better (and that Raggedy Dad didn't get it - keinahorra!)

mother in israel said...

Give yourself a big pat on the back for getting through that! Tonight is the first night in about a month that my husband got home before 10.

Sarah Likes Green said...

awww... feel 100% better quick! sounds like you are coping v. well anyway.

table nine said...

You know how I feel about throw up...I'll take vermon, hail, amputation anyday. But a stomach virus, G-d help me! I'm so glad you're better, and I hope you never have to deal with that again.

socialworker/frustrated mom said...

I am phobic about vomiting it only happened a few times, but my daughter vomitted plenty. Happy you are better sorry you guys weren't feeling well.

Baleboosteh said...

Glad to hear you are all feeling better now.
There is nothing worse than a stomach bug!

RaggedyMom said...

Ugh, I want to reply to the comments on this post - but the thought of reliving that virus is too much to bear!

Thanks for all your good wishes, everyone! Let's hope we all stay healthy!